Go back to Glossary Index
- sum, box (for money.) yklc lkwwaj+ dy +aHw elyh. He will pay the sums
incumbent upon him. [SLE 76b] wye+lw kwwaj+ qwmplyzan$. And he will give him
sums as a gift [SLE 126a] (The word only occurs in this Arabic-style broken
- See caxon.
- large carriage. arkb acwl+an fy wwaHd lqrwca. The king rode in a carriage.
- drawer (here="confinement"). yHa+w flqa$wn wyHaddw taHdyda mlyHa. He will
put him in confinement, and impose upon him a severe penalty. (ModSp=cajon)
Cohen (p. 425) cites the word qger (the g has a circumflex),
noting that the r is a variant of n.
- complementary, as a gift. wye+lw kwwaG+ qwmplyzan$. And they will
give him sums as a gift. [SLE 126a]
- ready [SLE cash]. wxlcthwm Drahym qwn+an+ wxrj rajlha mn lHbas. And she
paid them ready cash, and brought out her husband from prison. [SLE 77b]
- account. yzydwhwm flqwn+ acdyqym. They will add them (the wicked man's
good deeds) to the account of the righteous.[SLE 141a]
- reliability. aHna nas dlqwmfyyanc wxayyfyn alah. We are reliable men,
and fear God. [SLE 103b]
- acquaintance. yemlw lqwnycans mea dwk· lmrqan+yya. Let them
make the acquaintance of those merchants. [SLE 126b]
- advice. weml meahwm qwnsyl ba$ ym$yw. And he gave them advice to
go. [SLE 13b]
- satisfied. wxrj qwntan+ meahwm. And he went out satisfied with them.
- against. wwqfw qwn+ra ly$ral. They stood up against Israel. [SLE 88a]
(The following Arabic preposition l suggests that contra would
be followed by Romance a.
- feast, party. wemllhwm wwaHd lqwmby+y kbyr lnas bladw. [SLE 13b] And he made
a big party for the people of his town. waeml qwmby+y kbyr. And he made a big
party. [SLE 104a. Also, 92b, 109a, 110a and passim.]
- to agree. wfy dak· lwwqt qwrdar mea balw ba$ yktb bryya lynyH.
[SLE 130b] And
at that time he determined with himself to write a letter to Yaniah.
qwrdarw ba$ ytbtw elyhwm a$r+ dyyalw.
They agreed to establish his agreement over them.[SLE 51B]
wqwrdar ba$ ym$y. And he agreed to go. [SLE 10a]
wqwrdarw meah fy had arayy And they agreed with him in that
yqwdar mew ba$ ym$y.
He will agree with him to go.[SLE 8a]
- courage. had leabd ykwn endw qwraj kbyr. This servant has great
courage. [SLE 55a]
- necktie. welyha yHrz rwHw ben adm fy rba+ lgrava+a. Therefore a man
should be careful in tying the necktie. [SLE 17a]
- creditor. yDmn elyya llqryyancy. He will be a guarantor for me against
the creditors. [SLE 75b]
- credit. wrajly kan ybye wy$ry kyf anas dy kan endw qrydy mcxw+. My
husband was buying and selling like men who have open credit. [SLE 76b]
Note absence of t in crédit, suggesting ModFr, also singular on endw.
wayda blqrydy. And if on credit... [SLE 149b]
Go back to Home Page
Alan D. Corré