Go back to Glossary Index
- emperor. acwl+an dy yryHw kan ysmw $wbk ampyradwr. The name of the king of
Jericho was Emperor Shobach. (II Samuel, 10.18.) [SLE 127b]
wemlw qwnsyl fy beaDhwm bHDrt lampyradwr $wbk. And they took counsel together in
the presence of Emperor Shobach. [SLE128a]
- see salade
- synagogue. Hyn yqaDyw atflh f$nwGa ywm ljmea ma kanw yxrjw mn a$nwGa Gyr
H+a yjwwzw lpr$h $nym mqra wa' trgwm. When they finished the Friday morning
prayers, they did not leave the synagogue without going over the weekly
scriptural lection, twice in the original and once in the Aramaic translation.
[SLE 3b] (Also 79b, 80a and passim.)
- period. rak: $wft dak: alspasyw dy tpasyyarna fy dak: aljnan. You have seen
the period for which we walked in that garden. [SLE 5b]
- spirit. $gl aspiri+w. The work of the spirit. [SLE 152b]
- receptacle. whadyk· lhagala kant xbat dak: lfranq fy wwaHd a$kywwra ddqyq.
And that foolish woman hid that coin in a receptacle for grain. [SLE 101b]
(The etymology of this word is not clear. I incline to connect it with ModSp
esquero "sack" or "bag", which has its root in Latin esca
"food" and hence the meaning of the LF word is "a place for food.")
- to esteem. wlkl as+ymarw dak· arby. Everyone esteemed that rabbi.
- See albeque
- to explain. mlzwm el adyyn ba$ ysplykyr a+em. The judge must explain
the reason. [SLE 94a]
Note enunciation of the r in this verb. This form
is contra Cohen (p. 412) who declares that the infinitive is
regularised in all cases to -ar.
Go back to Home Page
Alan D. Corré