Go back to Glossary Index
- to slander. dayym ytml$nw flyhwd. They would constantly slander the Jews.
[SLE 152a] This verb is derived from the Hebrew ml$yn 'slanderer', but is an
early loan into Spanish.
- to break (one's word). ba$ ma ymankarw$ lplabra meakwm. So that they will
not break their word with you. [SLE 126a]
- type, way. wyeml Hwayj mn had almanyra. And he will do things of that
ayda b"m yclyha bhda lmanyra. If, God forbid, he prays it in this
way. [SLE 45b] b"m = Aramaic bar minan, far from us.
- mantel, mantelo
- cloth, cover, often of the one used to cover the holy scrolls. Hram ymsHw
blmndyl. It is forbidden to wipe it with the cloth. [SLE 17b] ylwwy ela yydw
a+lyt dyyalw awwla mndylw. He should cover his hand with his prayer
shawl or with the cloth. [SLE 80a] This word is old in Western Arabic.
- marshal. wmat lmary''$al dlmHala. And the marshal of the place died.
[SLE 13a] kl wwaHd fyhwm yjyb wwaHd lmary$al. Each one of them will bring a
marshal. [SLE 59a] wyxrjw hadyk· azwj dlmary$al lwwc+ lplaca. And these
two marshals will go out to the center of the plaza. [SLE 59a]
- merchant. lm"hdd lwwaHd lmyrqan+y kbyr. What does the matter
resemble? A certain great merchant.. [SLE 92b] lm"hdd is an abbreviation
for Hebrew lmh hdbr dwmh.
- merchants (collective.) $y mrqan+yya dy hwman fy mdwn bead. Some
merchants who are in distant cities. [SLE 126a]
lmrqan+yya dl blad. The merchants of the city [SLE 153a]
- wmn kwtrt dy kan mlywnyr kbyr dxltw algawt. On account of the fact
that he was a big millionnaire, pride entered into him. [SLE 4b] gawt is a
Hebrew word with an Arabic prefix.
whayydak· car flmwmyn+w brwHw. And this occurred at the
very moment. [SLE 153B]
- see mundo.
- world. ma kan$y mzyyana mtlha fy jmye lmwndw. There was no one as
good as she in the whole world. [SLE 29b]
- music. wmwzyqa tdrb ela kl +bae. And there were all kinds of music.
Go back to Home Page
Alan D. Corré