Go back to Glossary Index
- word. ma ybdl$ bn adam lpalabra dyyalw lcaHbw. A man should not
change his word to his friend. [SLE 101a] ma ymankarw$ lplabra meakwm. They
should not break their word with them. [SLE 126a]
- priest. kan fyhwm wwaHd alpapaz. There was among them a certain priest.
- part. wHayyd lpar+y dyyalw mn Gyr ma f++n caHbw. And he put aside
his part without telling his friend. [SLE 93b]
- parts. lewlm mqcwma ltlata dlpar+ys. The world is divided into three
parts. [SLE 73b] ewlm is Hebrew.
- to take a local walk or ride. wkan ytpacyyar fyhwm. And he was taking a
them. [SLE 150a]
tpasyyrna fy dak· ljnan. We walked in that park.
ytpacyyarw jmye fljnayyn. They will all take a walk
in the garden. [SLE 6a]
The reflexive Arabic
fifth measure represents the reflexive of the original Spanish.
- See previous entry.
- permit. wqbD arb azwlay e''h lprmys mn yydha. And Rabbi Azulay [SLE on
him be peace] took the permit from her hand. [SLE 42a] Note enunciation of final
consonant of permis.
- pharmacist. He wrote down for them a medicine which they would get
from the pharmacist in a note. [SLE 69b]
- paintings. zwwq Darw...blpyn+wra ela kl +bae. He decorated his house
with paintings of all descriptions. [SLE 68a]
- favor. jyt n+lt mnkwm wwaHd lplyzyr. I have come to seek a favor from
you. [SLE 106b]
- square, plaza. wemllhwm wwaHd lqwmby+y...fy wws+ lplaca. He made a
party for them in the center of the square. [SLE 13b]
- possible, that which one can do. lwkan emlt lpwsybly dyyalk wxrjtny
mn had lHabs. Would that you might do all you can, and get me out of this
prison. [SLE 76a] Very frequent.
- post, mail. wcar acwl+an fy kl pw$ta yktb brawwat. The king began to
write letters by every post. [SLE 65b]
- precise, exact. fsaea lflanya prysyz. At such-and-such a precise hour (at
such-and-such a time precisely.) [SLE 153B] (Although the Modern French word
précise is frequently associated with heure, this is probably the Occitan
masculine with voicing, and invariant as usual.)
- first. hwwa kan lprymr d$hwrat. It was the first of the months. [SLE 61b]
- proof. wnjybwlk prwba kbyra lklamna. And we shall bring you a strong
proof for our words. [SLE 36b]
- to make clear. hwman prwbarw wcHHw wwayyn lHbala dlHan$ hyya tlt
snyn. They made clear and verified that the gestation period of the snake is
three years. [SLE 47b] yprobar ayda mratw mazala dyyna awwla la. He will
clarify whether his wife is religious or not. [SLE 100b]
- See proba
- See proba
Go back to Home Page
Alan D. Corré