- fable [CT 24]
- front, face
- false [Dict] [Sch 71]
- lack; also:
mistake, defect. lfal+a dy kan eml abrhm abynw. The mistake which our
Father Abraham had made. [SLE 89b]
$af endha baed alfal+at. He saw some faults in her.[SLE 89b] (Arabic plural.)
- to fail, stumble, be lacking. wbalak yfaltt+ar fy had a$y. And let him not
fail in this matter. [SLE 3a]
ydwmw fy dyk· lxdma wma yfaltarw$. They will continue in this service
and not be lacking. [SLE 15a]
ma yfaltar Hta klma. Nothing shall be lacking. [SLE 81a]
- falzoletto, fazzoletto
- hunger, famine, appetite
- family. Hyn yqaDy asdr yqrah llfamylyya dyyalw. When he finishes the
Passover service, he shall read it to his family. [SLE 8a]
wxrj ycHq mgrr mea lfamylyya dyyalw. And Isaac went out from Gerar with his
family. [SLE 20b] Very frequent.
- arrogance, offense [Sch 72]
- do, make [Dict] [CT 11]
- do [Sch 71] See also fazir
- account. b+an+w flmyya rywH el lfatwra dyyalha. With such-and-such a
percentage of profit on its account. [SLE 92b]
- armchair. whwwa y$wf wwaHd lbnt qaeda fy wwahd lfu+wyy ddhab.
And he saw a girl sitting in a golden armchair. [SLE 108a]
- favor. w+lb mnw fabwr. And he asked a favor of him. [SLE 55a]
Gyr wwaHd lfabor temlhwly. You will do me just one favor [SLE 42b]
- fever [Sch 78]
- faith [Sch 79]
- difference. twwryna lfyrynsyya byn lxwwan bHal emlq...wbyn ytrw. [The
Torah] shows us the difference between brothers such as Amalek, and Jethro.
a$ mn fyrynsya byny lbynw.
What difference is there between me
and him? [SLE 154B] The absence of the first syllable may be due to
identifying it with the Arabic -- or Italian/Spanish -- particle di. Cohen
(p. 440) quotes this word only in the full form deferensia. He
declares that in Algiers it is used solely by Jews.
- feast [Dict] [Sch 71]
kan freh eml fys+a kbyra. Pharoah made a great feast.[SLE 36a]
wwaHd lfys+a kbyra. A certain great feast. [SLE 152a]
- pistachio (Arabic)
- see festa
- see fixar
- fine; also
alprwt almlaH walGarwcat alfynw. Good fruits and
fine vegetables. Note lack of concord. There is an Arabic definite article
however. [SLE 6a]
ye+y lbntw wwaHd lxdyma fynw. He will give his daughter a fine servant-girl.
[SLE 35b] Note lack of concord.
qrars finw. magnificent carriages. [SLE 150a] Note lack of concord.
- to fix. rana fysarna ba$ fnhar lfwlany ynjmew. Lo, we have established that
they shall assemble on such-and-such a day. [SLE 153B]
See also fixar.
- to fix; also:
nhar dy kanw fykcarw dljmwe. The day which they had fixed for the
assembly. [SLE 153B]
flmwmyn+w brwHw dy fyksarlhwm. In the very moment which he
had fixed for them.
See also fisar.
- fonduk (Arabic)
- market (sic!)
- outside [Dict] outside, from within [Sch 71]
- taken out [Sch 79]
- raise, remove [Dict] take out, take away [Sch 71] go out [Sch 78] Used in various compounds: see Sch 71 note 12.
- structure. wjabw lma blqwwadm mn fwrma fwq dyk lGn+ra. And they brought
the water in the forward parts of the structure over that bridge. [SLE 10b]
- See fromaggio
- fortune, chance
- effort, strength also:
wyxarj lyhwd blfwrsa elykum. And he will bring the Jews with
strength against you. [SLE 20a]
wyakd hadwk lwwlad fwrsa ba$ yqtlhwm. And he will take these children
forcibly in order to kill them. [SLE 23a]
wma bqa$ fyh fwrca ba$ yrkb ktr. And there was no strength left in him to ride
any more. [SLE 32a]
- to force; also:
c+aHq acwl+an yfwrcarw Hta +lq dak· leabd dyyalw wHarrw.
The king had to force him, so that he released that slave and freed him.
ma kan$ mn yfwrcark. There was noone to force you. [SLE 125a]
yfwrcar elyh. He will force him. [SLE 150a]
- pit, grave
- See fraula
- franc. ye+ylw kwl waHd frnk·. Each one would give him a franc.
- Frenchman [Sch 85]
- A Contemplative (religious sect) [CT A8]
- See forza
- fire [Sch 71]
- deep, foundation
- deceitful [CT 19]
- swindler [CT 21]
Go back to Glossary Index
Go back to Home Page
Alan D. Corré