David Stack, PhD
David Stack PhD is the Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Chief Information Officer for IT at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) where he earned his doctorate in Engineering. He has overall responsibility for the human resources, budget, and organizational/operational matters of the University Information Technology Services (UITS). All UITS staff who design, develop, engineer, operate and support UITS services report through the organization to him as the COO/Deputy CIO. Stack’s IT career began in Client Services and he has served at the director level and above at UWM since 1999. Stack has held many national leadership responsibilities with professional societies, especially EDUCAUSE where he currently serves on the Core Data Services Advisory Group and the Calculating the Cost of Distributed IT Working Group, a joint project of ECAR (EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research) and NACUBO (National Association of College and University Business Officers). Stack is a Campus Champion for the NSF's Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) and a frequent presenter at regional and national conferences.
- Deputy Chief Information Officer / Chief Operating Officer for IT, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (UWM), 9/2013 - present
- Deputy Chief Information Officer, UWM, 2/2003 - 9/2013
- Director of Planning for Information & Media Technologies (I&MT)
at UWM, 12/1999 - 2/2003
- Assistant Director for Client Services for I&MT at UWM, 7/1994 - 12/1999
- Associate Director of the Computing Services Division (CSD) at UWM, 7/1986
- Coordinator of User Services for CSD at UWM, 10/1985 - 7/1986
- Programmer/Analyst for CSD at UWM, 1/1982 - 10/1985
- Research Specialist for the Center for Great Lakes Studies at UWM, 1/1979
- Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering, 2007, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
- Master of Science in Engineering, 1979, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Physics, 1976. University
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Cooley C., Malaby T., and D. Stack. "How Are Students Actually Using IT? An Ethnographic Study" (Research Bulletin). Boulder, CO: EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research, November 29, 2011, available from http://www.educause.edu/ecar.
- Stack D. and E. Meachen (2011). "Common Enterprise Applications for the University of Wisconsin System" EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 34:2 (2011). www.educause.edu/library/EQM1124
- Stack D. (2009). "Who Pays Student Workers Higher Wages, Central IT or Distributed IT?" EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 32:3 (2009). http://www.educause.edu/library/EQM09311
- Stack D. and H. R. Bravo (2008). "Flow Separation Behind Ellipses at Reynolds Numbers Less than 10." Applied Mathematical Modelling 33 (2009), pp. 1633-1643. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2008.02.016
- Co-organizer of Data Symposium 2012 on March 1, 2012 Supported by the Southeast Wisconsin High Performance Cyberinfrastructure and the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin
- Co-Principal Investigator of "Leveraging UWM's Activity Reporting System for Research Collaboration" Supported by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Digital Futures Initiative, Spring -Summer, 2012
- Co-director of the Bioinformatics Key Function of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin supported by 2010 NIH Program U-54 RFA-RM-09-004, PI Reza Sharker MD
- Co-organizer of Wisconsin Cyberinfrastructure Day on November 5, 2010 Supported by 2009 NSF Grant 0956272, "CI Days: Laying the Foundation for Cyberinfrastructure Campus Bridging," PI Russ Hobby
- In-kind support to 2008 NSF Award 0823265, "Internet RFCs as Social Policy: Network Design from a Regulatory Perspective," PI Sandra Braman, Ph.D.
- Wisconsin Advanced Telecommunications Foundation (WATF) Proposal Evaluator, 2000
Conference Presentations and Miscellaneous Publications
- Wiltzius S, C Spadanuda and D Stack. "What's That Droning Overhead?" Presentation proposed for the EDUCAUSE 2015 Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Stack D. and C Spadanuda. "What's All This About Drones?" Presentation accepted for the SCUP 2015 Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Mitchell C. and D Stack. "Estimating the Costs of Distributed IT Services." Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2014 Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Stack D. "Build an Experimental Aircraft." Hands-on Activity at the 2014 Wisconsin Parents Association Conference, Oshkosh, WI.
- Stack D, Z Zhang and D Kasprzak. 2014 "Integrating Institutional Research and Information Technology." Panel Discussion at the 2014 Association for Institutional Research Annual Forum, Orlando, FL.
- Stack D, R Williams and T Rowe. 2014 "Work Life Balance and Other Dangerous Concepts." Interactive Session at the EDUCAUSE 2014 Connect Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Stack D. and B Anderson. 2013 "Trends in Small HPC Center Management." Birds of a Feather Session at the Supercomputing 2013 Conference, Denver, CO.
- Gross M. and D Stack. 2013 "Shepherding a Successful Policy Committee." Presentation at the 2013 CACUBO/ACUPA Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Stack D. and M Gross. 2013 "IT Policy Committee Meetings Don't Have to be Dull!" Presentation at the 2013 WiscNet Future Technologies Conference, Madison, WI.
- Ebert J. and D Stack. 2013 "Faculty Reporting Systems: Expectations vs. Realities." Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2013 Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Stack D, B Paige and B Waldscneider. 2013 "Onboarding CIOs and other Executive Level IT Staff." Panel discussion at the EDUCAUSE 2013 Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Stack D. 2013 "Let's Not Whine our Way to Alienation." Presentation at the virtual component of the EDUCAUSE 2013 West/Southwest Regional Conference, Austin, TX.
- Stack D, P Bui, B Maas and D Siercks. 2013 "High Performance Research Computing." Presentation at the University of Wisconsin System Information Technology Management Council Conference, Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- Stack D. and R Bielefld. 2012 "Common Practices for Managing Small HPC Clusters" Birds of a Feather Session at the Supercomputing 2012 Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Almes G. et. al. 2012 "What's Next for Campus Cyberinfrastructure? ACTI Responds to the NSF ACCI Reports." Whitepaper of the EDUCAUSE Core Technologies Initiative. Available from http://www.educause.edu/acti
- Stack D. and C Cooley. 2012 "Using Anthropological, Ethnographic Fieldwork Techniques to Ascertain How Students Actually Use Information Technology Resources." Presentation at the annual forum of the Association for Institutional Research, New Orleans, LA.
- Stack D. 2012 "How Tomorrow's Employees are Using IT Today in College." Presentation at the Wisconsin IT Symposium, Waukesha, WI.
- Stack D. and B Schaefer. 2012 “Experience IT: Twitter 202: Best Practices in Backchanneling.” Interactive Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2012 Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Stack D, Anderson B and R Bielefld. 2011 "Decision Points in Implementing a Small High Performance Computing Cluster." Birds of a Feather Session at the Supercomputing 2011 Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Stack D and K Hunt. 2011. “Engaging Researchers in Cyberinfrastructure Resources and Opportunities.” Poster Session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Stack D. 2011. "DIY Private Pilot Ground School." Presentation at the Wisconsin Parents Association Conference, Oshkosh, WI
- Vandever J and D Stack. 2011. “CIO and Executive IT Leaders Roundtable.” EDUCAUSE 2011 Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL
Stack D, Hunt K and K Lawrence. 2011. "Yes, We Mean You! Calling Attention to Cyberinfrastructure Resources and Opportunities for Researchers." Spring 2011 Internet2 Member Meeting, Arlington, VA
- Stack D and C Cooley 2011. "Of Course We Know How Students Use Technology. Or Do We?" Presentation at the 2011 WiscNet Future Technologies Conference, Madison, WI
- Stack D, Thebeau L, Brown B and A Treckles. 2011. "When Your LMS Can't Do It All: Non-LMS Tools for Blended and Online Courses." Presentation at the 2011 EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL
- Stack D and C Cooley 2011. "Investigating How Students REALLY Use IT." Presentation at the 2011 EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL
- Stack D, Simkowski S, Brown B and A Treckles. 2011. "What to do When Your LMS Can't do it All." Presentation at the 2011 EDUCAUSE ELI Annual Meeting, Washington, DC
- Stack D, Hillegas C and A Apon. 2010 "Small High Performance Computing Center Sustainability." Birds of a Feather Session at the Supercomputing 2010 Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Stack D, Woo M and C Struble. 2010. "From Zero to Cluster in Five Months." Presentation at the 2010 EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL
- Stack D, Karstedt K, Karstedt P, Murphy M, Murphy N, Stack M and Thur M. 2010. "FIRST Lego League and STEM." Presentation at the Wisconsin Parents Association Conference, Oshkosh, WI
- Stack D. 2009. "Getting Started with Institution-wide Supercomputing." Birds of a Feather Session at the Supercomputing 2009 Conference, Portland, OR.
- Murphy M, Misplon M, Pollen J, Pollnow C, Stack M, Manogaran A and D Stack. 2009. "A Physical Model of the Structure of GNNQQNY from Yeast Prion Sup35. www.proteopedia.org
- Murphy M, Misplon M, Pollen J, Pollnow C, Stack M, Manogaran A and D Stack. 2009. "Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Misfolded Protein?. Undergraduate Poster at the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2009 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- Stack D. 2009. "Wage Competition for Student Workers between Central and Distributed Campus IT Services." Presentation at the 2009 Association for Institutional Research Forum, Atlanta, GA
- Corn M, Hansen J, Tolbert M, Turner R and D Stack, "Security and Privacy Lightning Round" at the EDUCAUSE 2009 Conference, Orlando, FL
- Stack D, Barczyk E, Garber M and C Gluesing. 2008. "Aggressive Redesign: Three Learning Commons Charrettes." Presentation at the SCUP 2008 North Centreal Regional Conference, Madison, WI
- Stack D. "Father's Day in August". Midwest Flyer. December 2008/January 2009
- Stack D, Lavagnino M B and L Trubitt. 2007. "Dialogue: Does the Cornell Policy Process Play in Peoria?" Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Conference, Seattle, WA
- Brill R, Burchett B, Henderson J, Simkowski S and D Stack. 2007. "Are
Computer Labs Becoming Passe?" Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Midwest
Regional Conference, Chicago, IL
- Stack D and T Birk. 2006. "Is it Time to Start Recapturing Space
from Computer Labs?" Presentation at the SCUP 2006 North Central Regional
Conference, Kansas City, MO
- Stack D. 2006. "IT Support for Successful Accreditation". Poster
session at the EDUCAUSE 2006 Conference, Dallas, TX
- Stack D. 2005. "Hosting a Successful Accreditation Visit."
Presentation at the SCUP 2005 North Central Regional Conference, Columbus,
- Stack D and S Carter 2005. "An Interview about the GLB Act."
Podcast available on the EDUCAUSE website
- Stack D and S Carter 2005. "Gramm-Leach-Bliley Compliance Goes Beyond
FERPA". Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2005 Midwest Regional Conference,
- Maas B and D Stack 2005. "The Cultural Impacts of Successful ERP
Implementations". Presentation at the EDUCAUSE 2005 Midwest Regional
Conference, Chicago, IL
- Stack D and Z Heath, 2004. "Core Service Teams as Agents of Cultural
Change". Poster session at the EDUCAUSE 2004 Conference, Denver, CO
- Stack D 2004. "Redefining the culture of planning for services".
Presentation at the SCUP 2004 North Central Regional Conference, Minneapolis,
- Stack D, Heffner D and C Sabar. 2004. "How Collaborating with Neighboring
Institutions Can Enhance Professional Development and Cut Costs". Presentation
at EDUCAUSE 2004 Midwest Regional Conference, Chicago, IL
- Stack D. 2003. "Technology Policies that Work". Presentation
at ENTECH Nonprofit Technology Symposium, Milwaukee, WI.
- Stack D. 2000. "Student Technology Services". Presentation at
the Midwest Computer Conference, Whitewater, WI.
- Stack D. 1995. "Hangar Flying in Cyberspace". Presentation at
the 1995 Experimental Aircraft Association Convention, Oshkosh, WI.
- Garnham C and D Stack. 1995. "Mainframe Migration Strategy: What's
Wrong with this Plan?". Poster session, EDUCOM '95 Conference.
- Stack D. 1992 (Producer). "Living with Chronic Illness, Parts I &
II". Cable television programs broadcast on the Milwaukee Access Telecommunications
- Stack D. 1990 and T. Phillip. 1990. "Befriending Faculty". Conference
Proceedings of the ACM SIGUCCS User Services Conference XVIII, Association
for Computing Machinery, New York.
- Stack D. 1989. "UWM students use NCSA's supercomputer". NCSA
access, Newsletter of the National Center for Supercomputing Applications,
- Stack D. 1987. "All Your Consulting Needs Under One Roof". Conference
Proceedings of the ACM SIGUCCS User Services Conference XV, Association for
Computing Machinery, New York.
- Stack D and N Van Eck. 1986. "The Increasing Demands of Micro Support".
Conference Proceedings of the ACM SIGUCCS User Services Conference XIV, Association
for Computing Machinery, New York.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- IT Executives of Milwaukee, 2013 - present
- Technology Executives Club, 2012 - present
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 2009 - 2014
- Milwaukee IT Leadership Forum 2006 - present
- Society for Information Management (SIM), 2003 - present
- Society of College and University Planners (SCUP), 2001 - present
- Association of College and University Policy Administrators (ACUPA), 2001 - present
- EDUCAUSE, 1985 - present
- Association for Institutional Research (AIR), 2006 - 2009
- United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), 1997 - 1999
- Help Desk Institute (HDI),
Service to Professional Organizations
- EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Calculating the Cost of Distributed IT Working Group, 2014 - present
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Services Advisory Group, 2013 - present
- Campus Champion, NSF Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE), 2009 - present
- Wisconsin IT Symposium Advisory Committee, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Southeast Wisconsin High Performance Cyberinfrastructure Board of Directors, 2011 - 2014
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly Review Committee, 2010 - 2013
- Chair, Southeast Wisconsin High Performance Cyberinfrastructure Board of Directors, 2010
- Bioinformatics Co-Facilitator, Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) of Southeast Wisconsin, 2007 - 2014
- Co-moderator of EDUCAUSE Research Mission Support online constituent group,
2005 - 2014
- Southeast Wisconsin High Performance Cyberinfrastructure Planning Team, 2006 - 2009
- Society of College and University Planners Member Relations Team, 2007
- EDUCAUSE 2008 Conference Program Committee, 2007-2009
- EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee, 2006 - 2009
- Association for Institutional Research Forum Program Committee, 2006 - 2007
- EDUCAUSE 2006 Midwest Regional Conference Program Committee, 2005 - 2006
- Governor's Wisconsin Educational Technology Conference Program Committee, 2001, 2002
- EDUCAUSE Member Information Services Committee, 2000 - 2003
- Wisconsin Advanced Telecommunications Foundation Evaluation Committee, 2000
Service on University of Wisconsin System Committees
- Information Technology Management Council Policy Group, 2010 - present
- UW System Chief Information Officers Council, Secretary, 1997 - present
- Appointment, Benefits and Payroll System Communications User Group, 2005 - 2006
- Information Technology Management Council Executive Committee,
1997 - 2005
- Cyberspace Policy Review Committee, Member, 1996 - 1997
Selected Service on UW–Milwaukee Committees
- Strategic Planning Process Technology Thematic Team, 2013 - present
- Research Representatives, 2004 - present
- Academic Administrative Policy Committee, 1999 - present
- Associate Deans Group, 1999 - present
- Northwest Quadrant Redevelopment Focus Group, 2012 - 2013
- Virtual Student Services Hub Subcommittee, 2011-2012
- Three Digital Future Initiative Constituent Groups, 2011 - 2012
- Unit Technology Representatives, Organizer, 1998-2009
- HIPAA Working Group, 2006 - 2008
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Compliance Committee, 2003 - 2007
- UWM Task Force on Campus Quality Initiatives, 2000 - 2001
- UWM Online RFB Development Project, Member, 1999 - 2000.
- Project IMPACT Advisory and Evaluation Panel, Member, 1997 - 2000
- Learning Technology Center Steering Committee, Member, 1996 - 2000
- Distance Education Academic Infrastructure Committee, Member, 1996 - 2000
- Stage IV Subcommittee of the University Library Committee, Member, 1995
- Working Group for Policies and Guidelines for Publication of Information
on the World Wide Web, 1995 - 1996
Service to Non Profit and Community Organizations
- Science Fair Judge, Christ King School, Wauwatosa, WI, 2015
- Board Member, New Horizons Flying Club, Inc. 2013 - present
- Pastoral Team Member, Servants of Yahweh Community, 2006 - 2009, 2013 - present
- Vice President, STEM-Trek, 2012 - present
- Videographer, Airventure Convention, EAA, Oshkosh, WI, 2010
- Coach, FIRST Lego League, 2007, 2009
- Docent, Pottawatomie Lighthouse, Rock Island, WI, 2008 - 2010
- Teacher, Students Modeling a Research Topic (SMART) Team, 2008-2009
- Member, Empowering Non Profits with Technology (ENTECH) Strategy Team,
2002 - 2009
- Volunteer, Airventure Pioneer Airport, EAA, Oshkosh, WI, 2004, 2008, 2009
- Mentor, Milwaukee School of Engineering SMART Teams, 2008
- Financial Officer and Board Member, Cricket Academy of Chinese Language
and Culture, 2007 - 2008
- Classroom Coordinator, Cricket Academy of Chinese Language and Culture,
2005 - 2008
- Webmaster, Milwaukee Area Families with Children from China, 1996 - 2008
- Business Manager, Board Member and Webmaster, Cricket Academy
of Chinese Language and Culture, 2000 - 2005
- Vice President and Board Member, Metro Flying Club, 2003 – 2005
- Member, Technology Task Force, St. Sebastian Parish, 1997 - 1999
- Webmaster, Servants of Yahweh Prayer Community, 1996 - 1999
- Treasurer, Milwaukee Area Families with Children from China, 1996 - 2002
- Treasurer, Servants of Yahweh Prayer Community, 1989 - 1996