Power Electronics and Electric drives laboratory is one of the most active research labs at UWM. The lab is located at University Service and Research building on Capitol Drive and 1st St. Its properties include:
- 2500 sq-ft area
- Two 200A feeds of 480V and several 208V feeds
- A dyne set with 100hp motor and two 50kW generators
- Several motor-generator sets
- Three dSpace units
- 50 kWh zinc-bromide energu storage connected to 480V via inverters and transformer
- 750V and 360V lithium-ion capacitor modules
- NI Compact Rio measurment and controls modules
- Measurement and metering devices
- Load banks
UWM is located in Southeastern Milwakee, which is rich in industry, and has been a hub for power electronics and drives in the US.
The total research funding of the lab since 2006 is over $2.4M.
There are currently seven Ph.D. students and one M.S. student working full-time in the lab.