Experiment 5: Heat Exchanger-1st Law Analysis
Objective: In this experiment, the students will gain an understanding of the first law of thermodynamics, as it is applied to a steady-state open system with multiple inlets and outlets.
Goals: After completing this experiments, the students will
Preliminary Experimental Apparatus:
Equipment needed for each setup
(1) Heat Exchanger, with appropriate chillers
(2) 4 Thermistors
(3) 4 Pressure gauges
(4) 2 flow meters
(5) Computer/data acquisition
Basic Experimental Procedure:
(1) Students allow the heat exchanger to reach approximate steady state operation.
(2) Student acquire data at one flow rate.
(3) Students change a flow rate, and acquire more temperature and pressure data.
(4) Experiment continues through several different flow rates for each fluid, if adequately controlled.