Excerpts from the Civil War Pension Application File of Elihu Ingalls

Affidavit of Joshua Ingalls: 

State of Pennsylvania

County of Tioga

In matter of claim Ctf. No. 90,216 of Elihu Ingalls, late Co. A 149th Regt. Penna. Infty. Vols. for additional pension – On this 22nd day of December 1908, personally appeared before me, a Notary Public in and for the County aforesaid, Joshua Ingalls aged 69 years, a resident of Delmar Twp. Tioga Co. Pa. whose Post Office address is Wellsboro, Pa. R.F.D. No. 4, who being duly sworn, declares in relation to said claim as follows: That he is a brother of the claimant above named, and was a member of Co. A 149th Pa. Vols., and as such was well acquainted and intimate with said claimant; that about Sept. 1 1862, at a point near Camp McNeal, Washington D.C. the Regiment was encamped overnight, and suffered exposure to a severe rain storm, the members of the Regt. including the claimant and the deponent, not having any shelter from such storm; that the next day or about that, the regiment moved to Camp McNeal; the said claimant was taken sick(?) thereafter at said Camp with a severe chill, the deponent being up with him nights and taking care of him and heating bricks and putting around him to overcome the chill and its effects; that claimant gradually improved but was excused from duty for some time, about one week or perhaps ten days, because of his condition resulting from his exposure and the chill contracted as a consequence; that the regiment remained at Camp McNeal until about Feby. 15th or 16th following (1863), when it moved to Belle Plains, Va. claimant and deponent both being with it at that time, that the Regt., claimant and deponent with it, moved from Belle Plains about May 1 and went to Chancellorsville, claimant being lame and complaining of Rheumatism all the time; that the Regt. and claimant and deponent remained at Chancellorsville some 10 or 11 days and was then moved to White Oak Church, the claimant going with it, deponent being on night picket duty and remaining until daylight, and on being relieved from such duty found that the Regt. had moved, but he followed it and joined it at White Oak Church, but was very soon taken sick and sent first to the field hospital and then to Windmill Hospital and subsequently to Carver General Hospital at Washington – that he remained away from the Regt. until after the battle of Gettysburg and some time in Sept. 1863 he thinks, he returned to the Regt. for perhaps a month and at this time he found that claimant was on detached duty with the wagon train; he was then lame and complaining of Rheumatism and was on detached duty because of his disabled condition from the Rheumatism, that deponent was again taken sick and returned to hospital and again joined the Regt. about Christmas of 1863, and saw the claimant, he being still with wagon train, and still complaining of lameness, and also complaining that he was troubled with heart disease, and deponent now recollects that the claimant complained of being troubled with heart disease, all the time following the exposure and cutting(?) to which subjected at Camp McNeal.– That the Regt. was at Culpepper, Va. during Winter of 1863 and 1864, deponent being with it; remaining with the regiment at that place until about May 2, 1864; that claimant was returned to the Regiment from the detached duty that he had been on about this time, and remained with it from that time until May 10, when he was wounded and went to Carver General Hospital; that during the time intervening from May 2 to May 10 deponent was all the time with claimant, and he s---(?) feeble and to march with difficulty, and complained of both the rheumatism and heart disease; that claimant and deponent were both discharged from the army about the close of the war, and have always ever since been intimate with each other and deponent knows that claimant has always complained of being afflicted with lameness and heart trouble.  He further declares that he has no interest in said case and is not concerned in its prosecution.


Signed- Joshua Ingalls



Affidavit of Fred Ingalls:

General Affidavit

State of Pennsylvania

County of Tioga

In the matter of claim for additional pension, No. 90,216 of Elihu Ingalls, late of Co. A 149th Pa. Vol. Infty.  On this 17th day of February, A.D. 1906, personally appeared before me, a Clerk of Court in and for aforesaid County, duly authorized to administer oaths, Fred Ingalls (Elihu’s nephew) aged 41 years, a resident of Covington in the County of Tioga, State of Penna., whose Post-office address is Cherry Flats, Tioga Co., Pa., well known to be reputable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declared in relation to aforesaid case as follows:  That about 30 years ago, in the Spring of 1876 he thinks, he worked for a week for Elihu Ingalls the claimant above named at farm work; that he was before that time well acquainted with said Elihue, and has known him well ever since, and has worked for him to a considerable extent ever since at different times.  At time of working for him 30 years ago as mentioned said Elihu was engaged in carrying on farm work on his own farm; that deponent observed while so working for said Elihu that he seemed to be in a rather poor condition of health; that he was lame in both legs, but to the greatest extent in the right leg and hip, was so lame that he could not walk to drive his team at his farm work, that occasionally he would have spells when he could not eat his meals, and complained of shortness of breath, and deponent observed that he was troubled with shortness of breath and a difficulty of breathing; that he began April 1, 1887 (must be 1878), to work for said Elihu Ingalls again and continued to work steadily for him at that time for eight months; that said Elihu was during the whole of said period of time in poor health and there was a considerable part of his farm work that he could not work at, because of his lameness, and because of shortness of breath and difficulty of breathing; his lameness affected him constantly, and was apparently getting worse as time passed, said Elihu complained that this lameness was a consequence of the wound received in the army, that the cords and nerves of the leg were drawn up and affected as a consequence of such wound.  That the spells of difficulty of breathing, shortness of breath, were of considerable frequency during said 8 months, as often probably as two or three times a week, such spells would last a day or two at a time and he could not work at all while they lasted, at any thing except the lightest kind of choring work.–  That subsequently to said 8 months period of time and up to time he became 20 years old he worked for said Elihu some by days work; his lameness continued to trouble him and deponent observed that it seemed to be worse than formerly.  He also observed a continuance of the trouble of said Elihu of shortness of breath and difficulty of breathing, and the spells when he was so affected were more frequent than formerly, and disabled him to a greater extent.  That in 1884 he again worked for said Elihu steadily for three months and afterward by days labor.  His lameness still continued and appeared to be worse and to disable him more than formerly, and the shortness of breath and difficulty of breathing also continued to afflict him and in a greater degree than formerly, such spells occurring oftener; that from 1884 to 1893 he worked for said Elihu quite frequently at days work at farming work and deponent observed that his health continued poor, his lameness still affecting him and apparently getting all the time more serious and disabling him to a greater extent, and he also observed that the shortness of breath and difficulty of breathing still continued and seemed to be quite a disability to him and to interfere very much with his ability to labor; when the spells of this character came on he would get pale and faint and have to stop work and sit down and fan himself.  About the year 1893 or 1894 he worked again for said Elihu for a period of three months beginning April 1.  That he was still in poor health and so bad in that respect that he shortly after quit farming and sold his farm.  During this three months his lameness still afflicted him, continually becoming more troublesome and disabling him more and more.  The shortness of breath and difficulty of breathing still afflicted him in a greater degree; his health was in fact so bad that he had to quit laboring pretty much altogether and had as a consequence to hire two men to do his farm work instead (of) one as formerly.–  That in August 1897 said Elihu Ingalls bought a small house and lot of three acres in Cherry Flats, Charleston Township, Tioga Co., Pa. and moved onto said lot.  That since about 1898 he has worked for said Elihu by days work three or four days at a time, other times by single days, and deponent has on these occasions noticed that said Elihu was in a poorer condition of health than formerly, the lameness continuing him and affecting him more seriously, and his difficulty of breathing and shortness of breath affecting him to a much more marked degree, and affecting him to a greater extent than previously.  Deponent says that when he first began to work for said Elihu Ingalls he was not able to do more than one half the work of a well able bodied man, and that as time progressed his ability to work constantly became less and has now got to such a degree that he is scarcely able to labor at any kind of work whatever, and this because of the disabilities herein before mentioned.


Signed- Fred Ingalls

Discharge Papers of Elihu Ingalls

Back to CW Ancestors Page